Friday, February 09, 2007

2nd block for Dee's quilt

This block combined two challenges for me. First off it was another block for Dee's quilt and secondly it used a package of bits & pieces that was part of Magpie's Challenge, the challenge being to use them all in a block. Once again I had fun with the seams - the challenge from Magpie's goodies for me was using this much lace. I don't ordinarily use much lace so it was something different for me. Not that hard though since everything Magpie sent was beautiful! In the center of this block is a black cat done using waste canvas. He has a tiny little bell around his neck so the birds will be warned when he is coming. He was modelled after Dee's cat, Gonzo, who sadly passed away soon after I made this block. He was notorious for planting himself in the middle of whatever quilting Dee was doing and quite often made an appearance in any pictures of her work she showed us.

4 Comments:

Blogger Thelma said...

Oh so beautiful! You did a fantastic job. I bet it was fun putting it all together. And she will cherish it forever.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I love those laces! Great idea to put the heart on top of the other lace. That round motif to the left is just gorgeous. Wish I knew where she got that one!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

Really beautiful, Kerry. I like that here in your blog the photos can be enlarged so much and the details seen so well. You do fantastic stitching, my friend ;-)

8:34 PM  
Blogger Hideko Ishida said...

I love the both blocks you worked for Dee. They are beautiful. Your cross-stitched black cat is cute in its shape. Your cross-stitched motifs are always attractive.

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home