Monday, January 08, 2007

Take a Stitch Tuesday - Herringbone Stitch


Here is my first sampler page for the Take a Stitch Tuesday Challenge. This first week was herringbone stitch which was very nice for me because it is one of my favourite stitches for seam treatments. I should have allowed myself more time to work on it and I could have done a lot more but I will continue to work on it spare moments. Tomorrow the next stitch will be introduced by Sharon B and I am excited to see what that one is.

On this sample, I did a shallow herringbone first, then a row of deep ones.
The third row of stitches has french knots added to it.
Next is a blue herringone stitch with straight stitches and gold beads.
#5 is a double herringbone stitch done in pink and blue.
Row#6 is a simple herringbone in pink with a piece of green velour yarn woven through it.
Row #7 is another row of simple herringbone with gold spacer beads and seed beads added. This is one of my favourite variations for seams.
Row #8 is another simple pink herringbone, ths time with lazy daisy stitches and french knots added in blue.
Row 9 is an elongated herringbone wth additions of straight stitch, lazy daisy stitch and french knots.
Row 10 is a herringbone variation from Pamela Kellogg's site.
http://kittyandmedesigns.blogspot.com/
I check Kitty & Me, Pamela's blog, regularly as she has such lovely stitches and motifs to share. Thanks Pamela!
Row 11 has another row of simple herringbone done in varigated green and lazy daisy stitch and pink french knots.

I could have gone on for quite awhile but ran into a time crunch. A lesson learned now is to start on next's week's stitch right away.

I am going to work these sample pages on oddments of counted cross stitch fabric as I have done here on Aida It is my intention to create a stitch reference for myself with these pages.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable week and a big thank you to Sharon B for organizing this!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry--that little trellis at the bottom of your herringbone sampler is so cute. I'm saving it to my 'great ideas' book.

Thanks,
Lynn
SoCal

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kerry, your sampler is just great:) Thanks for sharing!
HUGZ:)
Candi

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful work, Kerry! I love the variations you're doing.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that last one - the colors and the stitching.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sample of stitching. That is beautiful thread you're using too :)

2:13 AM  
Blogger kerrykatiecakes said...

Thank you everyone! I am truly overwhelmed by all your kind words. I have been checking out the sites to see what everyone is doing with the buttonhole and I am blown away by it all!

Helen, the thread I am using is nothing more glamorous than a couple skeins of the DMC varigated!
Hugs,
Kerry

2:31 AM  
Blogger Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

Terrific, Kerry -- delightful to see what you are doing with the stitches.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Thelma said...

I love your sample of stitches. Very nice!!!

5:11 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Kerry, your sampler is just wonderful, I love what you did it is art all on its own.

Hugs
Gail

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home