Friday, January 05, 2007

Waste Canvas on CQ


I am having a love affair with using waste canvas on my crazy quilting. In case you haven't discovered this tool yet, waste canvas is used to stitch counted thread embroidery to fabrics that are not evenweave. That makes it perfect for crazy quilting applications!

This sample is a blackwork butterfly stitched onto a crazy quilt block. The wastecanvas is held together with water soluable glue so after you are done embroidering using the holes of the canvas as your guide, you can then moisten and remove the threads of the canvas. They pull right out and you are left with just the design! I have never found it necessary to moisten the threads of the canvas as per the instructions. Because I have concerns about leaving water marks on some of the delicate cq fabric, I have always simply substituted patience for the water and used tweezers to pull each canvas thread out individually. I originally had concerns that the canvas theads would be too roughto pull out dry but have used it for cross stitch, blackwork and even beadwork on cq and there have never been any problems even with delicate silk fabrics.

A second thing to look at in this picture is the seam treatment. This combination of herringbone stitch, cretan stitch and straight stitch is my first exampe for Sharon B's TAST (Take a Stitch Tuesday) Challenge. I will be starting oni my sample pieces toay so will post more herringbone picures soon!
Hugs,
Kerry

5 Comments:

Blogger Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

"This combination of herringbone stitch, cretan stitch and straight stitch is my first exampe for Sharon B's TAST (Take a Stitch Tuesday) Challenge. "

Beautiful, Kerry.
And someday I will find some waste canvas and give it a try.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Kerry for these fool proof explainations on waste canvas...makes me want to rush out and find some and have a go! It looks so neat and atractive on the CQ Sq ( but then all you work looks this way)
Thanks for sharing these tips. Ok where's the plasic card and shop giggles!
Hugs from Pam

2:14 PM  
Blogger Hideko Ishida said...

Kerry,
Your stitching works are beautiful. It's very nice to have found you have a blog. I will visit regularly. Thank you for sharing. Hideko

6:01 PM  
Blogger Thelma said...

How awesome! So it is called waste canvas and you just stitched over it? That would be something I would be interested in learning. I am just learning to cq, learning the stitches, etc. Very interesting and it looks awesome!!

5:14 AM  
Blogger Linda B said...

Beautiful as always Kerry. You never cease to amaze me with your talents.
Hugs
Linda

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home